Monday, January 24, 2005

So Scared!!!

fuzzy pic

I am scared to death right now! Today, in about an hour, I have to start my internship at the Texas School of the Deaf. The teacher I am working with is Deaf, so I am really going to have to use my sign language skills. What I am worried about is the following:
1. At a “hearing” school, I would just knock on the class room door to announce my presence. What am I going to do at TSD? Just walk right in? I don’t know what is appropriate.
2. The kid’s could totally make fun of me in sign language and I would not even know it. I know sign, but not fluently. If they sign fast, I am toast.
3. I am afraid of using the wrong sign. There are loads of signs that look similar, but mean two different things. For example, the sign for “coffee” and “make-out” are really close. I guess I won’t be asking for any coffee, just in case.
4. What if they don’t like me because I am studying to be a speech language pathologist? Many people in the Deaf Community do not appreciate us hearing folk trying to teach their kids to learn how to “Talk”. Ohhhhhh, maybe I will just tell them I am studying to be an interpreter or something.
Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for me and I will let you know how my day went later on in another post.

1 Comments:

Blogger sarahsmile3 said...

Thanks sweet pea. It was pretty good.I can talk to you in person and tell you more of the details.

12:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home