Sunday, May 18, 2014

Gruene

I saw my first show at Gruene Hall, y'all!
Gruene Hall was established in 1878 and is Texas' oldest dance hall. I've been to Gruene, Tx and have stood outside of Gruene Hall but I didn't experience a show there until this recent weekend. Dale and I are celebrating our TEN YEAR ANNIVERSARY MONTH so when I found out that Patty Griffin (one of our favorite singer songwritters) was playing Gruene Hall, I knew the stars were aligned and it was time to boogie.

I booked us a room at the Red Brick Inn, which is two doors down from the venue. I think we might have been the only guests staying there that night. The hotel was once a home and is old, creepy, filled with antique furniture and strange vibes. It was perfect.
Here is the bathroom:
 photo gruene7_zps3a5a888f.jpg
 photo gruene5_zps21f56938.jpg

We didn't have much time to explore the hotel before the show. That was cool, though because I enjoyed the anticipation of unwrapping that package.

So, Gruene hall. What can I say? When they sent us our tickets in the mail, it came with a letter explaining that the hall was "standing room only." But when we entered the building, I was saddened to find that the floor was full of people sitting in metal folding chairs. Those left standing were doing so around the perimeter of the building. Dale and I found a spot that gave us a perfect view of stage right. The sound was not as good as if we were right in the middle of the floor (the sweet spot), but it was good enough.

I wore boots to Gurene hall and that was a wise choice. The wooden floor was made for boots. It was made for stomping and sliding around. We were right in front of a giant fan so we had a cool breeze behind us, Patty in front of us, and friendly people on each side.

Then came the "Delta Bravo's". Some call them "Dude Bros". Some just use the vulgar but accurate term "Douche Bag" to describe the fellas that invaded our space. I may or may not have instigated a bit of an argument that nearly resulted in fisticuffs between the friendly folks beside me and the Dude Bros in front of me. It was entertaining, to say the least. I'll tell you about it in person some time.

Anyway, here is the crowd:
 photo gruene2_zps05875bb9.jpg

And here is Patty:
 photo gruene1_zpsb6c25df0.jpg
She was AMAZING! A true master. All hail Patty Griffin!
There I was, holding a Miller Lite with one hand and my husband's hand with the other. The breeze was on my back and I was stompin' my boots and swaying with the music. Patty's voice filled the room and I was happy. I was present. I was there.


More on the hotel and Gruene, TX in the next post.

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss Bee said...

I'm so glad y'all went! I can't believe they set up chairs though. That kind of stinks. I can't wait to hear about the "situation" that almost happened.

(Also - you look great in that dress!)

7:43 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Happy anniversary month!
Our 10 year is next month, but I don't think we'll get to do anything near as cool as a concert at Gruene!

Oh, and yes, that dress! You look awesome in it! If I didn't despise the word, I'd say it is "adorbs." :)

7:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home